Written by Pat Clifton    Saturday, 17 December 2011 14:36    PDF Print Write e-mail
Teams Handle Tough Quarters
Sevens - Collegiate Sevens

Life got past Colorado. John Eilts photo courtesy USA RugbyArkansas State, Life, Central Washington and Kutztown advanced to the Cup Semis with wins over Cal Poly, Colorado, St. Mary’s and Tennessee, respectively. Arkansas State and Life will meet in a rematch of the South Independent 7s championship game, and Kutztown and Central meet in a rematch of the CRC Qualifier final in Las Vegas.

The Red Wolves escaped a close game with Cal Poly. When ASU’s Shaun Potgieter scored the first try, the Mustangs’ Landis Nasser stepped through some shaky tackling to set up David Schaefer for the leveling try. 

When ASU’s Paul Benade stole the ensuing restart and took it to the house, Nasser responded with his own score. The stalemate was broken by a Pat Sullivan intercept try which sealed the win.

Life, which lacked continuity on the latter part of day one, started its game against Colorado in earnest. The Running Eagles quickly asserted their will with a Colton Cariaga try. They didn’t let up, pouring in three more scores before the end of the half. Cariaga scored a trio of tries in the win, while Life played without Cam Dolan, who did not have his best day Friday.

Central Washington also started its quarterfinal well. It didn’t hurt CWU that Gaels star 7s All American Bubba Jones went down with a hamstring injury. As he was lying on the ground, Central’s 7s All American, Tim Stanfill, raced in for a try.

Central continued pressure and forced St. Mary’s backed to their own try line. A failed clearance kick was fielded and grounded by Patrick Blair to extend Central’s lead to 14-0.

St. Mary’s got a break with a penalty near midfield, which Michael Haley turned into a score to pull the Gaels within nine at 14-5. They almost pulled even closer, but a scoring attempt was deemed held up at halftime, leaving the Gaels down nine.

Central Washington extended its lead to 16 in the 10th minute, and St. Mary’s suffered another big loss when Kingsley McGowan left the game with an ankle injury.

St. Mary’s put in two more tries before the end of the game, one coming at the death, but ran out of time and lost 21-17.

Tennessee actually had more possession at the start of the final quarterfinal, but twice Kutztown turned the Vols over deep in KU’s end and turned it into tries. The first was scored by Niku Kruger and the second by Matt Frederick. The Vols were unable to breach the tryline, and Jamie Gregory’s second-half try sealed the 17-0 win.