Written by Press Release
Tuesday, 13 August 2013 13:13
Calgary Downs BC in Canadian Championship Opener
VANCOUVER - Three converted tries in their return to the Canadian Rugby Championship wasn't enough to see the BC Bears to victory on Saturday evening as they fell 30-21 to the Prairie Wolf Pack at UBC's Wolfson Fields.
The Wolf Pack were led by a clinical performance from their 8-9-10 combination of Clay Panga, Gordon McRorie and Adam McQueen that saw them post a key victory on the road.
BC struggled to find their form and it was evident through a series of unforced errors that it was their first outing as a full squad this season.
"We were our own worst enemies," said BC Head Coach Jim Dixon. "We made too many errors and they [Wolf Pack] capitalized on them. With that said we showed plenty of potential in moments of the game and can build on that going forward."
The match opened with a third minute penalty as scrum half McRorie stepped up for the Wolf Pack to convert the quick three points.
BC were next to score as prop Scott MacKay barrelled through and with a conversion from full back Connor Braid, it was the Bears leading 7-3.
The Wolf pack would tally a quick score of their own through Duncan Maguire and it was McRorie who provided the extras. The two sides found themselves battling at 10-7 for the next 18 minutes before Wolf Pack Carl Pocock hit a drop goal to get their momentum going again and make it 13-7.
BC would rally with a well worked try through the forwards to see Captain Micha Govorchin go over for the score and with Braid's extras it was 14-13 for BC. The home side were unable to close out the half, however, and the Wolf Pack were able to punch in one more try in the 35th minute when flanker Kyle Gilmour went over for a converted try. The visitors led 20-14 at the half and never looked back.
"I'm delighted to get a win in the opening game of the tournament which is important to build our momentum going forward," Wolf Pack head coach Graeme Moffat said. "I thought we were strong on defense and the kicking by our scrum half (McRorie) really put them under pressure."
The second half opened with two Wolf Pack scores as Duncan Maguire dotted down in the 53rd minute and McRorie converted. The scrum half then notched a penalty in the 70th minute to make it 30-14.
BC would run in a late try by flanker Callum Morrison in the 80th and with Braid's conversion the hosts closed the gap to 21-30.
"BC were a much stronger side than last year, especially in the forwards," Moffat added. "They had some dangerous runners and it was important for us to really shut them down."
The Bears will now have just under three weeks to regroup for their August 30th clash against reigning champs Ontario Blues. The match is set for a 7:30pm kickoff at Westhills Stadium in Langford.
Scoring Summary: Wolf Pack 30, BC Bears 21
3:00: [0-3] Wolf Pack penalty - Gordon McRorie
8:00: [7-3] BC Try - Scott Mackay, Conversion Connor Braid
12:00: [7-10] Wolf Pack Try - Duncan Maguire, Conversion Gordon McRorie
30:00: [7-13] Wolf Pack Drop Goal - Carl Pocock
32:00: [14-13] BC Try - Micha Govorchin, Conversion Connor Braid
35:00: [14-20] Wolf Pack Try - Kyle Gilmour, Conversion Gordon McRorie
53:00: [14-27] Wolf Pack Try - Duncan Maguire, Conversion Gordon McRorie
70:00: [14-30] Wolf Pack Penalty - Gordon McRorie
80:00: [21-30] BC Try - Callum Morrison, Conversion Connor Braid
1. Clayton Thornber (Castaway Wanderers RFC)
2. Micha Govorchin (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
3. Scott MacKay (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
4. Shea Wakefield (UVic Vikes)
5. Aaron Flagg (Abbotsford RFC)
6. Callum Morrison (Meraloma Rugby Club)
7. Scott Plummer (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
8. Admir Cejvanovic (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
9. Henry Recinos (Vancouver Rowing Club)
10. Sean Ferguson (UBC Thunderbirds)
11. Luke McCloskey (UVic Vikes)
12. Matt Buckley (Castaway Wanderers RFC)
13. Joe Dolesau (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
14. Jon Morris (Castaway Wanderers RFC)
15. Connor Braid (James Bay AA)
16. Anthony Luca (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
17. Andrew Lackner (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
18. Ryan March (Abbotsford RFC)
19. Chris Chalmers (Abbotsford RFC)
20. Dustin Dobravsky (UVic Vikes)
21. Clayton Meeres (James Bay AA)
22. Pat Kay (UVic Vikes)
Bears Team Staff
Head Coach - Jim Dixon
Assistant Coach - Kenny Goodland
Manager - Hans de Goede
1. Tyler Hawes (Calgary Canucks)
2. Casey Reed (Calgary Hornets)
3. Scott Franklin (Castaway Wanderers)
4. Ian Houston (Saints)
5. Josh Schlebach (CCIAC)
6. John Anderson (Calgary Hornets)
7. Kyle Gilmour (St. Albert)
8. Clayton Panga (Calgary Hornets)
9. Gordon McRorie (Calgary Hornets)
10. Adam McQueen (Calgary Hornets)
11. Ian Shoults (Calgary Canucks)
12. Mozac Samson (Calgary Saints)
13. Adam Bontus (St. Albert)
14. Duncan Maguire (St. Albert)
15. Carl Pocock (Calgary Hornets)
16. Kyle Rawson (Calgary Hornets)
17. Dustin Luther (Regina Campion Grads)
18. Pete Houlihan (Edmonton Druids)
19. Spence Massiah (Calgary Hornets)
20. Mike Berry (Titans)
21. Brodie Henderson (Edmonton Clansmen)
22. Jake Robinson (St. Albert)
Wolf Pack Team Staff
Head Coach - Graeme Moffat
Assistant Coach - Col Jeffs
Manager - Jim Kazakoff
Athletic Therapist - Deanna Schick
Totem - Patrick Allan