Written by RUGBYMag Staff    Tuesday, 25 October 2011 16:48    PDF Print Write e-mail
Brown Secures 2nd in Men's Ivy League
Colleges - Men's DI College

Brown flyhalf Zahid Jethani in action. Ed Hagerty photoBrown University secured 2nd in the Ivy League men’s competition after defeating Yale 53-10.

Princeton and Brown came into the weekend tied at 4-2, with both teams having lost to Dartmouth, and Brown also having dropped a decision to Columbia. But the key match was Brown v. Princeton October 16, which Brown won, thus garnering the head-to-head advantage over the Tigers.

Princeton won their final match 75-10 over Columbia, but what Brown needed to do was also win, and get a four-try bonus point. This they did.

Chaney Harrison scored within ten minutes and tries from Dan Levine-Spound, Brent Zajaczkowski and Dow Travers, with James McGinn converting all of them, put Brown safely in bonus-point territory and up 28-5 at halftime.

Matt Leonard, Dan Tonderys, McGinn, Travers and Harrison all added tries in the second half, none of which were converted.

The Brown forward pack was dominant in the scrums and breakdowns, but lock Harrison was exceptionally strong on the day as he and the forwards dominated the try-scoring.

Harrison scored his first from a lineout drive, hooker and co-captain Levine-Spound pounded over from a ruck, and flanker Zajaczkowski chased a clever kick ahead by flyhalf Zahid Jethani to touch down. Zajaczkowski liked the idea so much he copied it, pushing a kick through for center Travers to chase and score.

Early in the second half, scrumhalf Matt Leonard took a quick-tap penalty from five meters out and scored. Yale replied but Brown went on a burst of four unanswered tries to put the match away.

Breaks by fullback Ryan Jones and Travers were finished off by right wing Dan Tonderys, who broke a tackle and lunged over the line. A lineout break from the forwards was quickly reversed with Jethani and center Taylor Peak putting McGinn away.

Then reserve flyhalf Blair Cameron broke through for 40 meters before kicking ahead for Travers, who won the footrace for the try.

The scrum had the final say, as flanker Lachland Stewart broke from the back and fed Harrison for the last try of the match.