There's a ton of movement this time around, with five teams losing on the weekend. Most of the craziness happened in Florida, where Florida State lost to Spring Hill College and narrowly beat South Alabama, and Central Florida beat Florida, by 40!
The Seminoles, who are not playing in the Florida Cup this fall, mixed their A and B sides for the double-header. So, technically, FSU's A-Side hasn't played this fall. But Spring Hill College is an NSCRO team. Granted, Spring Hill is going the way of Wheeling Jesuit by putting resources into their men's and women's programs and hiring a coach away from USA Rugby, but Mollie McCarthy was announced as the head coach just this month, so she's hardly had the time to bring in enough recruits to justify Florida State losing to Spring Hill, mixed side or not.
The Gators' excuses are a hasty transition from 7s and turnover. With seven players earning their first-ever A-side action for Florida on the weekend, the Gators rebounded from the Saturday loss to UCF by beating the tar out of Florida Atlantic. We do drop Florida and Florida State really far for their performances, but we don't knock them out. Last fall, we saw warm weather teams like Tennessee and LSU lose early preseason games to teams they shouldn't have and bounce back for really good spring campaigns.
Another big loss was Maryland getting beaten handily by Salisbury. If the Sharks were DI-AA, they'd be ranked here. So we won't completely crush the Terps, but they're on notice.
Brown lost to Dartmouth and Arkansas to Arkansas State, but hey, it's Dartmouth and Arkansas State. We should find out more about the Razorbacks after they play LSU in Baton Rouge this coming weekend.
You'll also notice Arizona, Arizona State and Oregon State slid. They will have plenty of time to overcome their idleness when their seasons get going. Too many teams are putting up impressive results to maintain a glass floor created in the preseason.
1. (1) Cal
2. (2) BYU
3. (3) Utah
4. (4) UCLA
5. (5) Lindenwood 2-1
6. (6) Navy 0-1
7. (7) Tennessee
8. (8) Dartmouth 6-0-1 (6-2-1) Won 28-5 over Brown
9. (14) Bowling Green 5-0
10. (9) Brown 6-1-1 Lost 28-5 to Dartmouth
11. (20) Central Florida 3-0 Won 47-7 over Florida, 37-3 over South Florida
12. (16) Middlebury 4-0 Won 91-7 over Albany
13. (11) Arizona
14. (12) Arizona State
15. (13) Oregon State
16. (17) LSU 3-1 (3-1-1)
17. (19) Stony Brook 4-2 Won 25-10 over Binghamton
18. (21) St. Bonaventure 4-1-1 Won 35-24 over Syracuse
19. (Unr.) Boston College 4-1 Won 22-5 over Northeastern
20. (10) Florida State 1-1 Won 19-18 over South Alabama, lost 23-22 to Spring Hill College
21. (23) Northern Illinois 5-1 Won 19-17 over Miami (OH)
22. (25) Clemson 1-0 Won 31-12 over Virginia Tech
23. (15) Florida 1-1 Lost 47-7 to UCF, Won 50-10 over FAU
24. (24) Arkansas 1-1 Lost to Arkansas State
25. (18) Maryland 0-1-1 Lost 43-21 to Salisbury
(22) Northeastern 3-2 Lost 22-5 to Boston College